Largest Employers in Denver
Here's a List of the Top 25
University of Colorado Denver Business School, located at 1475 Lawrence Street in Denver, Colorado. The University of Colorado systems are one of the top employers in the Denver Metro area.
Photo By Jeffrey Beall
Denver, Colorado was named sixth on Forbes Magazine's “Best Places for Business and Careers". Due to its proximity to the mineral-rich Rocky Mountains, Denver has long been a home for mining and energy companies such as EnCana, Halliburton, Smith International, Newmont Mining and Noble Energy. Denver's west-central location within the United States makes communication with both North American coasts, South America, Europe and Asia possible and benefits telecommunications industries including Quest Communications, Dish Network Corporation, Starz-Encore, DirecTV and Comcast. The Denver area is also the home of several national chain restaurants; such as Chipotle Mexican Grill, Good Times Burgers and Frozen Custard, Noodles and Company, Qdoba Mexican Grill, Quizno's and Smashburger; all of which were founded in Denver. Because of Denver's almost-equal distance from Midwest cities (such as St. Louis and Chicago) and West Coast cities (such as San Diego and Los Angeles), Denver is also a storage and distribution hub for the country.
Denver, the capitol of and largest city in Colorado, is also know as the “Mile High City” due to it's elevation of 5,280 feet. Cities in the metro area also include Arvada, Aurora, Centennial, Lakewood, Thornton and Westminster. Situated along the Front Range Urban Corridor of the Rocky Mountains, the Denver Metro area includes ten counties and over 2.5 million residents.
The top 25 employers in Metro Denver; including government and municipal organizations, and corporations; as well as contact information and a brief description of each follows.
1. U.S. GovernmentVarious Locations www.opm.gov The U.S. Government is the largest employer in Metro Denver. The Department of the Interior includes such agencies as Bureau of Land Management, Office of Surface Mining and Reclamation, Bureau of Reclamation and all have offices in or near the Denver Metro area. Other service agencies in the area are U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency, the General Services Administration and the Department of Labor – US Mine Safety and Health Administration. In addition, there are 6 military bases near Denver, including Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora and Fort Carson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs.
2. State of ColoradoVarious Locations www.colorado.gov/dpa Another top employer in the Denver Metro Area is the State of Colorado. As the capitol and largest city in the state, Denver hosts the State of Colorado in multiple locations. Offices include the Division of Finance and Procurement, Division of Central Services, Executive Office, Office of the State Controller, State Personnel Board, Office of Administrative Courts, and Division of Human Resources. The State of Colorado employs nearly 30,000 people in the Denver Metro area.
www.cu.edu The University of Colorado includes four campuses located in Boulder, Colorado Springs, Denver and the Anschultz Medical Complex in Denver. CU offers academic programs for Undergraduate and Graduate degrees as well as combined Bachelor's/Masters programs and Academic Enrichment Programs.
4. Denver Public Schools (DPS)900 Grant Street Denver, CO 80203 (720) 423-3200 www.dpsk12.org Denver Public Schools educate over 84,000 children each year in 176 schools. The graduation rate is 58.8% with a dropout rate at 5.7%. Employees include 5,245 teachers in elementary, middle, high and charter schools.
5. City and County of DenverVarious Locations www.denvergov.org The offices of the City and County of Denver oversee departments such as Animal Control, Board of Parks and Recreation, City Council, Denver Public Library, Economic Development, Fire Department, Health and Human Services, Light Rail, the Mayor's Office, the Sheriff's Department, Voter Registration, Water Quality and the Zoning Code.
6. HealthONE Corporationwww.healthonecares.com 400 South Monaco Street, Suite 380 Denver, CO 80237 (303) 584-6099 HealthONE Hospitals throughout the Denver Metro Area include The Medical Center of Aurora, North Suburban Medical Center, Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center, Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, Rose Medical Center, Sky Ridge Medical Center, Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital and Swedish Medical Center.
7. SCL Health Systemwww.sclhealthsystem.org 2420 W. 26th Avenue, Suite D-100 Denver, CO 80211 (303) 813-5190 SCL Health Systems was founded by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth as a faith-based nonprofit health care organization operating nine hospitals, four clinics, one children's mental health center and more than 100 ambulatory service centers in four states – Colorado, Kansas, Montana and California. The $2.7 billion health network is dedicated to improving health, especially in low-income communities.
www.centura.org 188 Inverness Drive West, Suite 500 Englewood, CO 80112 (303) 290-6500 Centura Health is one of the top 25 employers for Metro Denver. Their healthcare network includes fifteen hospitals, seven senior living communities, urgent care clinics, partner hospitals, Flight for Life ® Colorado, home care and hospice services in Colorado and Western Kansas. Their faith-based system of healing is the result of the union of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and the Adventist Health System (AHS) in 1996. According to their website, “Both sponsors have presented a commitment to their values and an understanding of the vital role that ministering to spiritual needs can play in health care.”
9. Lockheed Martin Corporationwww.lockheedmartin.com 12257 South Wadsworth Boulevard Littleton, CO 80125 (866) 562-2363 Nationally recognized, Lockheed Martin Corporation's specialties include research, design, development, manufacture, and integration of advanced technology systems, products and services. Business areas include aeronautics, information systems and global solutions, missles and fire control, mission systems and training, and space systems. Their 2012 nationwide sales exceeded $47 Billion.
10. CenturyLinkwww.centurylink.com 700 West Mineral Avenue Littleton, CO 80120 (303) 881-3491 CenturyLink provides high speed internet, phone and TV services in local, national and select international markets. CenturyLink is headquartered in Monroe, LA but employs over 6,300 Denver area residents. CenturyLink is an S&P 500 Company and is on Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations.
www.kp.org 100535 East Dakota Avenue Denver, CO 80247 (303) 338-3800 Kaiser Permanente is a network of 17,000 physicians providing care in areas including oncology, cardiology, stroke, diabetes and hypertension. Kaiser Permanente offers individual and family plans, medicare plans and employer-sponsored plans.
12. Denver Healthwww.denverhealth.org 777 Bannock Street Denver, CO 80204 (303) 436-6000 Denver Health provides Colorado's largest healthcare safety net, giving level one care regardless of the patient's ability to pay.
13. Comcast Corporationwww.comcast.com 188 Inverness Drive West Englewood, CO 80112 (720) 267-7000 Comcast is another of the top 25 employers for Metro Denver, with over 5,500 employees in the metro area. Comcast Corporation's interests include television, internet, film (Universal Pictures), voice and cable services.
14. Children's Hospital Coloradowww.childrenscolorado.org 13123 East 16th Avenue Aurora, CO 80045 (720) 777-1234 Children's Hospital Colorado is a nonprofit hospital providing medical care for children from birth throughout adolescence, ranked nationally by U.S. News and World Report each year since pediatric hospitals were first ranked in 1993. Children's Hospital Colorado was also ranked #1 in “Family Friendliness” and #5 for Overall care by Parents Magazine in 2013.
15. United Airlineswww.united.com 8900 Pena Boulevard Denver, CO 80249 (303) 348-4300 Denver is one of ten hub cities for United Airlines. More than 400 flights - regional, national and international – are operated daily through Denver International Airport.
16. University of Colorado Hospitalwww.uch.edu 110 West 13th Avenue Denver, CO 80204 (720) 848-2820 As the region's only academic hospital, the University of Colorado Hospital is at the forefront of technological advances in health care. UCH was ranked the #1 hospital in Colorado by U.S. News and World Report in 2013, and ranks 5 specialties among the top 50 in the United States (cancer, kidney disorders, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and pulmonology).
www.wellsfargo.com 1740 South Broadway Denver, CO 80274 (303) 863-4631 Offering personal, small business and commercial money services for the Denver Metro area, Wells Fargo employs nearly 5,000 area residents in their more than 160 branches in Colorado.
18. DISH Networkwww.dish.com 9601 South Meridian Boulevard Englewood, CO 80112 (888) 615-3451 DISH Network provides satellite TV to around 14 million subscribers and is headquartered in Englewood, Colorado.
19. IBM Corporationwww.ibm.com 4700 South Syracuse Street Denver, CO 80237 IBM's products include software, systems, storage, technical support, developmental support, customer support, as well as business, IT, outsourcing and training services.
20. Aurora Public Schoolswww.aurorak12.org 15701 East First Avenue Aurora, CO 80011 (303) 344-8060 The Adams-Arapahoe 28J School District is the public school system in Aurora, CO for over 37,000 students in grades K-12. The district consists of 59 schools and a staff of over 5,000.
www.du.edu 2199 South University Boulevard Denver, CO 80208 (303) 871-2000 The University of Denver, known as DU, is located in South Denver. DU offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as views of the Rocky Mountains and the Denver skyline. As with many companies/organizations within the Denver Metro area, DU is promoting sustainability including zero-waste hockey games, greenhouse gas audits and a campus bike program.
22. United Parcel Servicewww.upsfreight.com 5300 East 56th Avenue Commerce City, CO 80022 (800) 333-7400 UPS provides shipping, tracking and freight services to domestic and international consumers, both residential and commercial. One of several Colorado Freight Service Centers, the Commerce City is one of the top 25 employers for Metro Denver.
23. Ball Corporationwww.ball.com 10 Longs Peak Drive Broomfield, CO 80021 (303) 533-7002 Broomfield, Colorado is home to the headquarters of Ball Corporation, originally Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company, founded in 1880. Famous for producing glass canning jars, Ball Corporation is now involved in areas such as avionics, space system, metal food and beverage containers, and aluminum aerosol containers. Ball Corporation split their canning jar production into a separate company in 1993, originally named Alltrista, now Jarden.
www.flyfrontier.com 7001 Tower Road Denver, CO 80249 (800) 432-1359 Frontier Airlines operates more than 350 daily flights and employs more than 4,500 aviation professionals at its home – Denver International Airport. Frontier flies to more than 75 destinations in the US, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica and Costa Rica.